Component Shortages Report from IHS
Joining us in this episode is Greg Wood of IHS Markit, a global information company serving financial, automotive; energy and engineering; product design, and manufacturing industries.
Greg will share with us his over 20 years of experience in the electronic parts management space to help design engineers like you cope with the current electronics components shortage. Stay tuned for tips and ideas to expand your opportunities to acquire inventory.
Listen to the Podcast:
Watch the video:
- Daily Distribution/Manufacturing information provided to IHS (Audit/Clean up reports)
- Aggregate counts lead times remaining for active parts for part types
- Average lead times for counts, regular basis—since covid
- Presentations: spreadsheet, graphs, trends
- Monthly report on lead times, pricing, inventory quantities (products this summer)
- What’s driving component shortage?
- “The Crazy” Findings, learnings, stories—use cases.
- Coping strategy for design engineers
- Impact on overall business: previous post acquisitions. previous versions cross-reference, replacement reduce time by at least 50%
- Significant impact on automotive industries—shocking impact!
- Where are we now
- Big move to fabrication
- TSMC: Agreed to 100 Billion to increase capacity
- What do I need to do NOW?
- Procurement advise
- Pay close attention to available products
- Heavy investment on infrastructure: 50 Billion in incentives
Links and Resources:
IHS Markit Webinar Page
Electronic Components Shortages, Insights from John Watson
Design Survival Guide in a World of Parts Shortages
SnapEDA Google for Electronic Components with Natasha Baker
Full OnTrack Podcast Library