Robert Feranec on How to Implement The PCB Design Process
In this episode, we talk with Robert Feranec, a familiar name to many of our listeners. Apart from being a popular YouTuber, he’s also the founder and CEO of FEDEVEL Academy where he teaches PCB Design to people around the world. Robert shares what it takes to be a popular YouTuber, the work it takes to produce all the great content he creates and as a special bonus we’ll discuss Robert’s Keynote that he will deliver at AltiumLive PCB Summit this October in San Diego.
Listen to the Podcast:
Download this episode (right click and save)
Watch the video:
- Robert considers himself lucky to have started working on complex boards almost immediately after university. This early start provided much experience and he soon began freelancing.
- As a freelancer, he did whole-board design i.e. specifications, schematics, layout, as well as testing and firmware.
- He found he often couldn’t remember everything when using Altium Designer® and started doing YouTube videos, at first for himself, but soon garnered a following and today he has 24 000 followers.
- As he became more popular, he received many email questions daily, which was very time consuming and he decided to create a forum where he offered a course, and the rest is history. Robert teaches Altium Designer but also CAD-independent content.
- What goes into creating a video tutorial? Lots of preparation, a half-hour video takes almost two days to create. One hour of video training takes a week to create.
- AltiumLive Topic: How Other Companies Implement Their Hardware Design Process. Many people ask about how other companies implement hardware design, create and use libraries, collaboration (design flow) and working faster.
- Why do so many people only use a small percentage of their tool’s capacity? Most don’t need all the features. Many are nice to have but not always a necessity. Also, people learn to use the tool in a specific way and adding new features could interfere with an established workflow.
- Robert’s talk at AltiumLive will provide insight into libraries, creating new components, component lifecycle, creating new symbols as quickly as possible, ensuring correct footprints, and more.
- What are the challenges around collaboration? Communication between different types of engineers and how to manage several engineers working on the same project.
- What about versioning and backup? Most companies will do both in the same way.
- Document releases are very complex, there are too many emails back and forth. Robert will talk about ensuring correct documentation and release procedures.
- What attracts people to your training? The different levels of the courses, the variety, and junior designers love them to upskill and get better jobs.
Links and Resources:
- AltiumLive Summit 2019
- Ben Jordan Podcast
- Lawrence Romine Podcast
- Altium Academic Page
- Robert’s YouTube
- FEDEVEL Academy
- Robert’s LinkedIn
Learn, connect, and get inspired at AltiumLive 2019: Annual PCB Design Summit.
3D Printed Circuit Boards for Fast Prototyping Sean Patterson joins us to share the technology behind DragonFly IV®, the multi-material 3D printer for electronics fabrication. He will walk us through its current capabilities, and how it can bring your electronic prototypes to the next level. Watch this episode or listen on the go. Read Article
The Exciting Path to Mechatronics Engineering Fergus Downey, Ph.D. student and research assistant at Curtin University in Western Australia (WA), is joining us in this episode and sharing his journey to becoming a Mechatronic Engineer. This will be a fun episode! Fergus will discuss his involvement with the Binar Space Program and give us an overview of CubeSat Read Article
Design Predictable PCBs through SIMBEOR® Electromagnetic Analysis In this episode, the founder of Simberian will demonstrate Simbeor’s simulation capabilities and briefly educate us on rise times, signal integrity, and solving EMI. Watch how an electromagnetic analyzer can be a lifesaver to a PCB designer like you. Read Article
Mitigating Risk Factors for PCB Manufacturing Lead Times How to deal with nuances in PCB design and manufacturing? In today’s episode, Dave Young the owner of Young Circuits Design and founder of BlueStamp Engineering, and Zach talk about mitigating risk factors early in the stage of electronic design. Read Article