Secrets of PCB Optimization with Rick Hartley
Rick Hartley is former senior principal engineer for L-3 Avionics Systems and current principal of RHartley Enterprises, where he serves as an international consultant on signal integrity and EMI issues. With more than 50 years of experience in the industry, the majority of Rick’s career has been spent working in aircraft avionics, telecommunications, and PC boards, and specializing in suppressing noise in analog, RF, and digital circuits.
Rick joins Judy on the OnTrack podcast to discuss everything from copper balance and sizing your boards for maximum producibility and minimum cost, to his upcoming presentation at AltiumLive 2020 and his contribution to PCB West’s upcoming virtual conference.
Best not to miss this one!
Listen to the Podcast:
Watch the video:
- Who is Rick Hartley? A brief introduction.
- More than 120 books; Rick’s response to the challenges of decreasing rise times.
- Rick’s upcoming live presentation at AltiumLive 2020.
- Sizing your board for maximum producibility and minimum cost.
- One engineer’s extreme reaction to an unexpected cost minimization measure.
- Hard learned lessons in copper balance.
- Accounting for communication disconnects between fabricator and engineer.
- Quantity vs Quality: the importance of taking control of your fabricator choices.
- The impact of footprints on the ability to assemble.
- How and why the PCEA (Printed Circuit Engineering Association) was formed.
- What you can expect from PCB West’s upcoming virtual conference.
- It’s free, free, free! Details on AltiumLive 2020.
Links and Resources:
AltiumLive 2020 Virtual Summit
Kelly Dack’s Podcast about Panel Spacing
Rick’s Top 12 Engineering Books
Previous Episode with Rick: PCB Stack-up Design Best Practices with Rick Hartley
Now you can get the ultimate PCB design productivity with the easiest platform for PCB design. Easily communicate design changes to your team with Altium 365.