Yesterday we released Altium Vault 2.0. As Nikolay mentioned, organizations using the Altium Vault Server with Subscription are eligible to upgrade to Altium Vault 2.0. After you’ve contacted your Sales & Support Center, the next thing you’ll wonder about is just how do you go about migrating your data to the new Altium Vault 2.0.
It’s pretty easy actually; I did it for myself in about an hour yesterday afternoon and documented the process, which I’d like to share with everyone.
On the left, existing Altium Vault Server 1.2 Vault Data. On the right, the same data now available in Altium Vault 2.0
Before We Get Started
Because you’re already using the Altium Vault Server 1.2, you may want to consider installing Altium Vault 2.0 on a different machine for testing purposes before migrating your production machine to see how the improvements will affect your workflow. If so, skip down to step 1 on your testing machine. Also it’s always good practice to make a backup.
Always backup your existing data before upgrading and migrating
1. Disconnect Altium Designer from the Altium Vault Server by going to DXP > Preferences > Data Management > Vaults and selecting your existing Altium Vault Server and clicking Disconnect from Vault.
2. Stop all relevant IIS applications (see TechDocs)
3. Make a copy of the Firebird database (DXPServer.dat) and data files folder (Revisions)
4. Restart IIS applications
Uninstalling Altium Vault 1.2
Uninstall the Altium Vault Server 1.2 from the Programs and Features section of the Control Panel, like any other Windows® program. Take care to select No when prompted if you want to delete your Altium Vault Server Data.
Take care to not delete your data, be sure to click No when prompted
1. Under Control Panel > Programs and Features, select Altium Vault Server and click Uninstall
2. Select Yes that you do want to remove the Altium Vault Server
3. Select No that you do not want to delete Altium Vault Server data (database, revisions, files)
Step 1: Download and Install
Download the Altium Vault 2.0 installer and install.
Download the Altium Vault 2.0 installer from the Altium web page
Follow the steps in the installer
1. Download the installer from the Downloads page on Altium.com
2. Follow the on screen instructions to install the Altium Vault 2.0
- As you are migrating from an existing Altium Vault Server 1.2 install, you will want to select the Firebird database option.
- Take note of the port you are installing on as it will be needed later to access the Altium Vault.
Step 2: License
Download and install license files to use and connect to the Altium Vault.
Download your licenses from the Licenses section of the Dashboard on AltiumLive
1. Download the necessary licenses from the Licenses section on your companies Dashboard on AltiumLive
- Altium Vault Workgroup: A license for the Altium Vault that determines the functionality the Altium Vault offers for the entire organization.
- Altium Vault Workgroup CAL: A license for attribution to the client that determines the Altium Vault functionality available to them.
2. Place the license files in the root installation folder of the Altium Vault on the server machine. The default installation folder is \Program Files x86)\Altium\Altium Vault.
Different from Altium Vault Server 1.2, there is no Altium Vault 2.0 license file required on the client Altium Designer machines.
Step 3: Setup
Configure user accounts and CAL attribution using the browser interface.
- More information about administering the Altium Vault through the browser is available online on TechDocs.
Setup and configure user accounts and licenses
1. Access the browser based Altium Vault administration page via http://<ComputerName>:<PortNumber>
- Default Username: admin
- Default Password: admin
2. Navigate to the users panel and create and manage your users.
3. Assign Altium Vault CAL to your users as needed
Step 4: Connect
Connect to your Altium Vault 2.0 from Altium Designer and verify your content is available.
- Detailed information about connecting to Altium Vault 2.0 from Altium Designer is available online on TechDocs.
Connect Altium Designer to your newly installed Altium Vault 2.0
1. From Altium Designer, go to DXP > Sign in Altium Vault
2. Enter the server address and your user information then click Login
3. Go to DXP > Preferences, then Data Management > Vaults
4. If your client Altium Designer was previously connected to the Altium Vault Server 1.2, the preferences will remain and signing in alone will be enough to connect to the Altium Vault 2.0.
- If not, click Add Vault…, then enter the server address and your user information and click Ok
- Once connected, the Altium Vault 2.0 will show the same name as was previously used for Altium Vault Server 1.2 as the database has remained. If required, you may change the name of the Altium Vault 2.0
5. Verify your existing Altium Vault Server 1.2 content is available on your new install of Altium Vault 2.0 by going to DXP > Vault Explorer
TechDocs contains a wealth of information about Altium Vault 2.0.
About the AuthorMore Content by admin